1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WTF is up with Game of Thrones fanfiction??

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by magyareagle, Sep 17, 2013.

1. magyareagle

magyareagle Guest

Was intrigued by the idea of reading Game of Thrones fanfiction, and found a few that were written somewhat decently until they all descended into borderline pedo areas, the worst offender being a story that began as an exploration of Arya as a ward of Tywin and then suddenly had her paired with 40 year old Jaime, despite her being 13. I've noticed this trend in other fics in the genre as well. What the hell is up with that?

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I haven't read any like that, but I'll take your word for it.

Some of it will be fantasy and wish fulfillment. Some of it will be because it's a taboo and therefore more exciting subject than the author's daily boring lives. And some of it will be because that's how the canon universe works as GRRM wrote it.

How old was Sansa when she was married to Tyrion and then Petyr Baelish was trying to get a slice of her?

Denying that such things happen in Westeros - in spite of canon - and eliminating it from your stories is your choice.

3. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

It is Game of Thrones, it is known for three things: political intrigue, violence, and sexual taboos.

Of those three only one is something fanfiction writers are comfortable writing about.

4. magyareagle

magyareagle Guest

Nercule Paen, and Yak, I agree with your points.
    But it also still is worth pointing out that in the HP fandom they have managed to make the same age disparities work by either doing what the show did and advancing the ages of the characters, or by setting it later in the series. It doesn't seem like they do that here. Even in Cxjenius's HP/Game of thrones X-over, which I found tolerable until I came across a scene of a 13 year old getting a bj, with a description of the taste of semen included. There's a way to make these may/december romances work in fanfic, without going down the true squick path.

5. meev

meev Groundskeeper

No they haven't.

6. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

If you don't like reading about "teenaged" characters in sexual situations, why read GoT at all? As Yak pointed out, it's all over canon. It's one of the staples of the time period - horses, swords, and underaged girls. GoT isn't GoT without all three.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, plot has absolutely nothing to do with it.

8. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

If anything, I'm disappointed by GoT fanfiction writers for not explaining the nuances of daily life for the underclasses or catching us up on political fallout whilst describing how maidservant/spy #4 has such a taut body that her breasts barely jiggled with the backdoor pounding.

Where's the style? Where's the discomforting need to concentrate to hear dialogue through the foreground boinking noises? I want my sexposition.

[For those who would reply 'that's not in the books', GRRM has declared fanfiction of his books to be verboten, therefore all GoT fanfic is theoretically derived from the HBO show]

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah... There's sick shit in all genres of fanfiction, whether it is about Snape doing Harry over the desk in the potion's classroom or twincest in the Supernatural fanfic verse.

As for Game of Thrones... Yeah, some weird shit going on there... Speaking of, how're you doing, Wordhammer? ;)

10. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Eh? If I recall correctly the girl in Cxjenius's story wasn't that much older than the 13 year old. I'm not sure that really works as an example of what you're talking about.

11. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Only thing I have a problem with the fandom is, Summary: princess Julie Baratheon, eldest daughter of Cersei and Robert, twin to prince Joffrey. Hers was the Fury! OC/Robb & slight one-sided OC/Jon!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  12. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

My problem with the fandom is its tendency to when pairing up Jon with someone, Robb always needs to get a bit of the cake. That and settings that takes place in "The Modern World."

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Like the others said... those relationships(and the descriptions of them) are typical for GoT (and for the real medieval age). 13-14 is also the age were quite a lot of modern teenager have their first experiences in that direction so it is certainly not that unbelievable. I actually found the scene you mentioned done well..

And the HP fandom is full of similar things, hell even worse in my opinion, because in GoT is simply sex while HP always needs destiny, souldbounding or , god forbid, marriage/love at first sight for the rest of their lives.

14. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Or Harry fucks Snape who has an unhealthy obsessions with his mother, is one gross dude, and 20 years older to boot.

Or Malfoy who is a snivelling little racist shit with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

15. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

The funny thing about the internet, especially places like FanFiction.net, is that while they sometimes have quality stuff, more often than not it's just two random people together.

In Game of Thrones Fanfictions, for example, they generally consist of two specific Ships:

1. Sandor/Sansa, or SanSan. In the books, I found it creepy (just like every other guy who apparently lusts for a 13 year old). In FanFiction, it is the most common Game of Thrones coupling out there.

2. Arya/Gendry.

And those are just the most common ones. I once saw a Sansa/Tywin story (not that I read it, thank God).

It is a basic truth that most FanFic Writers are teenage girls who get all excited about the idea of this character hooking up with that character, regardless of age, gender or even Logic to how those two characters would have even met in the first place, never mind actually ending up together for any reason.

16. yak

/Looks at the Harry/Lily story thread.

It's not just teenage girls.

17. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

To be fair the Harry/Lily thread in Story Search currently has less than 6 replies, while the awful teenage girl writer demographic has contributed over 600,000 stories in the fanfiction.net category alone.

18. yak

Sure, but all of those stories are DLP authored stories. And that was just one example. We've got plenty of other unlikely matchups on DLP involving incest, pedo, cannibalism, etc. Sure we don't have slash or much of anything involving Snape, but my point is that isn't just "teenage girls" who are fascinated by unlikely, even impossible, pairings. DLP is guilty of that too.

19. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Are you suggesting that Harry/Lily is anything but the natural state of the universe?

:confused:

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only true pairing in HP is time travelling Harry banging his mum in order to give birth to himself. Didn't you know? Harry survived the Killing Curse because he has no delta brainwave.