1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WTF is up with Game of Thrones fanfiction??

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by magyareagle, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I'm sure Lily has nice sugar cookies.

2. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Jon/Arya (Modern)

Read this until Jon: I was already falling for you.

He was 13, she was 9. He tells her that 8 years later, when he's somehow transformed into one of the richest men in Britain, and she's a sad girl whose just lost the both of her parents. Obviously this emotionally turbulent time in the life of a teenager is the perfect opportunity for her pseudo (and of age) family member to console her sexually.

I scour this fandom in search for Badass Arya, but, alas, any instance of her is either too short, wordcount wise, and or too fleeting, since once she spots Gendry/Ageon/Jon/Tywin!? all that badassery & independence is instantly subsumed within pathetic co-dependence.

And all the pedo. It resembles Asstr far too closely, through less explicitly, than I'm comfortable with. Personally, the worst offenders are those who seem to write the incoherence coherently - like this 40~ chapter Arya/Jamie fic I just happened across on AO.

3. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Your summary makes me shudder. That seems like the baddest of badfics.

As for pairings...I think pairing characters just for the sake of pairing them up inevitably leads to bad things. Like no plot and characters screwing each other just because...why not? Even if they hated each other in canon.

Some allowances need to be made in such a medieval setting, but the story should not suffer for it.

I'm also on the lookout for badass Arya fics, so tell me if you find some. Right now, I'm holding out hope for this one: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8549293/1/The-Tenderness-of-Wolves

It sounds promising and there are as of yet no males she can grow co-dependent on, though that might change in time.

4. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Two GoT Tumblr posts that I wish were fanfiction.

5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

That second fic really needs to happen.

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think the fascination with these weird and strange pairings comes from trying to create an interesting plot. Writing a pure romance fic with pairings that are natural and normal is hard. Exactly what plot is there? Chapters full of smut. It's really hard to pull off well.

When you take something a bit stranger - former enemies, big age gaps, conflicting personalities, etc - you instantly get half a plot that involves some sort of emotional conflict, and heaps of narrative that amount to "No way would I ever fall in love with them!".

When I try to think up my favorite romance fanfics or even original fiction, most of them DO exist with some sort 'unlikely pairing' and have a plot that's based around inner conflict. Of course, this doesn't mean that most of these fics are good - but I can see the fascination with it.

The modern AU fics are disguised self-insert fantasies. Why put your own OC in the fic, when you can just change the an existing character into yourself?

7. magyareagle

magyareagle Guest

Agreement

I agree here, I am willing to make many allowances for unusual pairings, or pairings that are well written, but there is a limit here. Sansa and Sandor (sadly the most common pairing in the fandom) would work if they set it in the proper season and didn't suddenly turn it into a teenage fantasy. Probably the best example of such a pairing working in a fic I've seen is the sadly incomplete Harry/Bellatrix fic "Only Enemies". But there was another one that I started reading recently that was set in a modern AU and I was thinking, this just makes it far far worse. I agree with you, what I would like to see are strong independent characters, whether they are male or female. Tyrion becomes a sap in almost all fics, as opposed to a ruthless man with a strong sense of right and wrong (never mind that that the sense of right and wrong doesn't correspond to other people's sense of it). I think my main problem here is how most of the fics are written in a way that doesn't actually take into account the age of the characters, whether it is the TV ages or the show ages. Even a medieval 12 year old will still not think and behave like a sexually mature adult, irregardless of how tough they may be. Martin does a great job of showing this with Arya in the books, and I wish the fandom would follow suit.

8. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

And anyone who visits IRC has probably seen the worst thanks to Minion.

9. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Just the other day I was thinking there isn't enough Arya/Syrio fanfiction.

Well, 'lo and fuckin' behold: Memory holds true

10. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

No! NO! :p